Cupcake or cake? Ooof, that’s a hard question. Thankfully unlike our health, we don’t have to choose here. Check here if you want to draw a slice of cake, then head back here if you want to draw a bright pink cartoon cupcake with a cherry on top. Cupcakes are pretty easy to draw which is great for young kids to practice. There’s a logical structure to them and a lot of them have a strong, simple base shape which makes them a great starter subject for kids to draw. The icing and flavors allow kids to be creative so after a few practice rounds, challenge your kids to put on different toppings, different icings, and flavors!
And why not check out our collection of free coloring pages for kids! We update our resources library regularly so feel free to check back as we add more and more content. We’re currently at over 1000+ coloring pages and creating more how-to-draw stuff art tutorials!
Note: This tutorial and our many others are suitable for ages 3 to 10 (preschool and above.)
🖍️ Tools For Success
- Paper (Our Free How To Draw Template PDF)
- Polymer Eraser
- Outline Markers
- Coloring Tools (I recommend Crayola’s 140 Piece Coloring Case)
🎨 Parents: The only tools you need to use these how-to-draw tutorials are: an eraser, a pencil, and a piece of paper. But – if you have them around – a sketching pencil makes for fainter and softer lines that help kids build fine motor accuracy. I also recommend going over the sketch pencil with a black outline marker when you’re done for a neater finish. Lastly, erase the pencil marks before adding color.
Step-by-Step Guide: Draw a Cartoon Cupcake
- Cupcakes can have any topping shape, some are round or pointed. The icing and cherry on top of it here add a different shape. So let’s start with a small cherry, then on its lower left connect an oval-like shape that ends on its opposite side. It looks like a ring, but it is actually icing with a cherry on top.
- Pink icing cannot stand without the cupcake itself. Repeat the step you have done in the icing but this time, do it in the lower-left of the icing to form a bigger one. Now, you have the top of the hot pink cake.
- For your cupcakes to form, you need baker liners. Beneath the cake, draw two vertical lines on opposite sides parallel to each other. Then, connect them by drawing a horizontal line on both ends.
- Add more vertical lines in the baker liner, with minimal spaces in between.
- To finally complete the details, add a slanted stem line on the cherry’s top.
- Now, we have a delicious cupcake with a cherry on top! Coloring it pink will make you a strawberry-flavored cupcake, with a red cherry on top and a brown baker liner. You can color it differently depending on your favorite flavor!
(Note: I went top-down but some people draw cupcakes from the bottom-up and then finally decide on what kind of icing and topping they want. It’s totally up to you!)
🔖 See our collection of How-To-Draw tutorial instructions for young kids! Check out our collection of free coloring pages for kids while you’re here too. We’re a group of independent illustrators that create coloring pages, how to draw tutorials, craft printables, and educational worksheets for kids. We update our resource library regularly so feel free to check back as we add more and more content. We’re currently at over 1000+ coloring pages and 500+ how-to-draw stuff guides for kids!
🖍️ Tools For Success
Printing & Saving Instructions:
- Desktop & laptop users: the instant print button is in the upper left-hand corner.
- Mobile users: if you don’t see the instant print icon on mobile for whatever reason, toggle your mobile browser to “Desktop View” and you should be able to see it. You can find that in your web browser’s menu. Or find the nearest computer to print.
- Change the page orientation from horizontal or vertical depending on what fits best.
- To decrease load time we put images on different sub-pages. Use the navigation on the top and bottom of the galleries to toggle.
- Designed to fit both A4 size & U.S. standard letter size but preview your specs just in case.
- Want to save a file for later? Just hit the instant print button and choose instead to print, select Save As “PDF” in the drop-down selection, and done! (Your screen and selection might look a little different.)
🖍️ MORE HOW TO DRAW TUTORIALS…
- How To Draw Popular Minecraft Characters
- How To Draw Abe Lincoln
- How to Draw Baby Shark
- How To Draw Among Us Character
- How To Draw Dinosaurs (Different Kinds)
- How to Draw a Dolphin
- How To Draw a Cute Little Dragon
Interesting Facts About Cupcakes!
- The people of England tend to use another name to call cupcakes: fairy cakes! They assume that for a party of fairies to feast on, it is the right size.
- It is estimated that an average adult living in the United States eats at least one cupcake a day.
- As television shows began showing them, Cupcake stores became very popular in New York. Thanks to shows like Sugar Rush, Nailed It, and all those pro baking shows, home baking has taken new life in American kitchens.
- The first bakery ever specifically for cupcakes was launched by Sprinkles Cupcakes in 2005.
- A new trend at weddings, the Brides love cupcakes so instead of the traditional classic wedding cake, cupcake towers are becoming very popular.
- Cupcake got its name from the fact that it is actually baked in a cup.
- There is a record for eating the most cupcakes in 30 seconds. For each cupcake, that is around one second.
- In the year 2009, the largest cupcake was made. It had two million calories, a height of four feet, a weight of 1224 pounds, and a ten-foot breath.
- 770,000,000 cupcakes were eaten in the US in a year.
- 15th of December is national cupcake day, while 18th of October is national chocolate cupcake day, and 9th of November is vanilla cupcake day.
Help Support Artists Big and Small
We would much appreciate it if everyone who enjoyed or benefited from our how-to-draw tutorial series can give us a social media shout-out or a link back. This will allow us to create more content by 1) commissioning small, independent artists and 2) teach young children everywhere to create more through art. Thank you.
🏎️ Related Reads:
- 15 Epic Learning Science Experiments at Home for Kids
- 25 Developmental Toddler Play Ideas for a Healthy Brain, Body, and Soul
- 15 Activities That Will Make Your Kids Love Road Trips
Are you new here?
Why not check out our collection of free coloring pages for kids! We update our resources library regularly so feel free to check back as we add more and more content. We’re currently at over 1000+ coloring pages and creating more how-to-draw stuff art tutorials!