Pest or a sing-song buddy to humans? Their two antennas, four short wings, two enlarged legs, an elongated form is the visual landmark of grasshoppers. Sometimes, grasshoppers are called pests and can destroy crops.
This tutorial and our many others are suitable for ages 3 to 8 (preschool and above.)
And why not check out our collection of free coloring pages for kids! We update our resources library regularly so feel free to check back as we add more and more content. We’re currently at over 1000+ coloring pages and tons more how-to-draw tutorials!
✏️ TOOLS FOR SUCCESS
- How-To-Draw Template – International (A4) or U.S. Size (8.5×11 in)
- Sketching Pencil
- Polymer Eraser
- Outline Marker
- Coloring Tools
🎨 Parents: The only tools you need for these how-to-draw tutorials are: eraser, pencil, and a piece of paper. But – if you have them around – a sketching pencil makes for fainter and softer lines that help kids build fine motor accuracy. I also recommend going over the sketch pencil with a black outline marker when you’re done for a neater finish. Lastly, erase the pencil marks before adding color.
Grasshopper Bug Drawing Tutorial for Children
Interesting Facts about Grasshoppers
- Ground-dwelling species with the ability to leap long distances to escape attacks.
- In the Caelifera suborder, there are about 11,000 recognized species of grasshoppers.
- Usually, grasshoppers are brown and green or a hybrid of the two. There are, however, certain varieties of grasshoppers that, including the rainbow grasshopper, have a wide variety of bright colors.
- Short-horned grasshoppers and long-horned grasshoppers are the two major categories that divide this species.
- With excellent anti-predator defenses, they blend in very well with their environment. The look and colors of leaves are imitated by the hooded leaf grasshopper (Phyllochoreia Ramakrishnan). The look and color of wooden sticks are imitated by stick grasshoppers (Proscopiidae).
- A few species of grasshopper can change their color (camouflage) concerning the environment.
- A swarm of short-horned grasshoppers, also known as locusts, will destroy crops. These swarms will cost millions of dollars, and sometimes billions, in damage.
- There are three basic eyes for grasshoppers that allow them to see even in darkness.
- Like cockroaches, grasshoppers often have a pair of antennas that can be used to sense and scent items around them.
- The grasshopper’s back leg is very potent. It has claws that help grab at the end of its rear leg.
- Grasshoppers are considered an exotic snack in many countries. Grasshoppers are consumed as food in countries like Mexico, Spain, African countries, etc.
- Grasshoppers have a variety of predators, including ground bugs, ants, spiders, and wasps.
🖍️ MORE HOW TO DRAW TUTORIALS…
- How To Draw Popular Minecraft Characters
- How To Draw Abe Lincoln
- How to Draw Baby Shark
- How To Draw Among Us Character
- How To Draw Dinosaurs (Different Kinds)
- How to Draw a Dolphin
Help Support Artists Big and Small
We would much appreciate it if everyone who enjoyed or benefited from our how-to-draw tutorial series can give us a social media shout-out or a link back. This will allow us to create more content by 1) commissioning small, independent artists and 2) teach young children everywhere to create more through art. Thank you.