Do you know what’s the most important thing about having a cat? Being able to pay homage to your kitty. Pets are smart. Especially cats, they know we have to serve them…OK, I’m kidding. We love our pets of course!!! Do start the kiddos young and teach them how to draw Overlord king (or queen) kitty cat 🙂 In this super-duper simple, we’re going to draw a cartoon-style tabby, chubby, orange cat.
This tutorial and our many others are suitable for ages 3 to 8. Check out our collection of free coloring pages for little kids! See the cute Christmas-themed coloring gallery!
✏️ TOOLS FOR SUCCESS
- How-To-Draw Template – International (A4) or U.S. Size (8.5×11 in)
- Sketching Pencil
- Polymer Eraser
- Outline Marker
- Coloring Tools
🎨 Parents: The only tools you need for these how-to-draw tutorials are: eraser, pencil, and a piece of paper. But – if you have them around – a sketching pencil makes for fainter and softer lines that help kids build fine motor accuracy. I also recommend going over the sketch pencil with a black outline marker when you’re done for a neater finish. Lastly, erase the pencil marks before adding color.
Step-by-Step Tutorial on How to Draw a Cat
- Cartoon cats’ faces and bodies are commonly round and stout (I’m channeling Garfield.) So let’s start drawing an oval-shaped face with two small circular eyes inside and parallel to each other.
- Cats are easily distinguished with their facial features, so let’s add more details. In the middle of your cat’s eyes, draw an inverted triangular nose with two adjacent lines below the nose, each facing the opposite direction.
- Besides eyes, nose, and mouth, cats also have ears and whiskers. On the face’s top-sides, draw two triangles opposing each other with one smaller triangle inside each.
- Next, draw three horizontal lines parallel to each other on each side of the cat’s face. These lines are the whiskers, so allow them to overlap the face.
- I like cats when their body is fluffy, so draw a bigger oval than the head with two curve lines for their feet.
- Don’t forget to add another two in between them to complete your cat’s set of feet.
- Cat’s tails are very sensitive and expressive, so draw an enclosed s-shaped curve line pointing upward, making the cat look excited.
- My fluffy cat looks like Garfield in its orangey color. You can choose your cat’s color and breed too!
Printing & Saving Info:
- The instant print button is in the upper left-hand corner. If you don’t see the instant print icon on mobile, toggle your mobile browser to “Desktop View” and you should be able to see it. Turning on “Desktop View” is on the upper right of your browser screen under “Settings.”
- To decrease load time we put large images on different sub-pages. Use the navigation on the top and bottom of the galleries to toggle.
- Fits both A4 sizes and fits US standard letter sizes but preview your specs just in case.
- Want to save a file for later? Just hit the print button and choose instead of printing, select Save As “PDF” in the drop-down selection, and done! (Your screen and selection might look a little different.)
Funny Cat Trivia for Children
- Cats purr for a lot of reasons besides being happy. Cats purr when they’re injured sometimes and research suggests cat purrs help their body heal faster.
- The higher the fall, the less likely cats are likely to be injured. Cats are good with turning and preparing for impact mid-fall but only if they have enough time (ie higher falls more time to prepare.)
- Abraham Lincoln was a big cat fan; he loved his pet cats and often brought home strays.
- In 1983, a cat was sent to space and upon his safe return, he was named Félicette (Felix the Cat).
- The largest kitten litter size recorded by people was 19! That’s one tired cat momma.
- There was a 30-year-old cat that gave birth – which made her the oldest cat to give birth ever. She had a total of 218 kittens throughout her life.
- Poinsettia plant (big red flowers everyone has at Christmas!) is mildly toxic to both cats and dogs; it’s not deadly but do be careful with pets.
- There are about 40+ different recognized breeds of cats around the world by the Cat Fancier’s Association.
- Bastet was an Egyptian goddess who was half-cat and half-human, commonly worshipped in Old Egypt.
- Cats sleep about 15 hours per day; this is because they conserve their energy for hunting (ok these days, just playing.) Kittens sleep up to 22 hours a day!
- Cat food is very savory and salty because cats can’t actually taste sweet flavors.
- If cats do not get any taurine (a chemical found in their diet and cat foods) – without taurine – they can experience vision loss and other serious health issues.
- It’s odd but female cats prefer to use their right paw but male cats typically use more of their left paw.
- Taylor Swift’s cat…Olivia Benson is the richest cat in the worth. That cat is worth 97 million dollars thanks to advertising and brand deals with Diet Coke and Keds.
- When cats rub themselves against you, it could mean more than affection, it means they think you are their property! See? Overload kitty cats.
🖍️ MORE HOW TO DRAW TUTORIALS…
- How To Draw Popular Minecraft Characters
- How To Draw Abe Lincoln
- How to Draw Baby Shark
- How To Draw Among Us Character
- How To Draw Dinosaurs (Different Kinds)
- How to Draw a Dolphin
Help Support Artists Big and Small
We would much appreciate it if everyone who enjoyed or benefited from our how-to-draw tutorial series can give us a social media shout-out or a link back. This will allow us to create more content by 1) commissioning small, independent artists and 2) teach young children everywhere to create more through art. Thank you.